2011 -The Year of Changes

2011 was a big year for the world.  We saw huge earthquakes in New Zealand, and the one in Japan was devastating because it was 3 major disasters in 1 day.  Japan was still in a bad recession - I knew a lot of friends who had lost jobs.  I was also worried I wouldn't be able to come back to Japan after the Earthquake, and would have to leave my friends behind.  I remember I was crying on the train to say goodbye to coworkers.  It was a really sad time.

I lost my voice and discovered I had Vocal Cord Polyps which is really painful when I speak and sometimes breathing hurts.
The conversation went like this
"Don't speak or it could damage your voice"
"But I'm a teacher"
"Don't speak for 2 weeks, oh and the polyps come back, it's permanent. "
I really Love to sing :( just have to sing in my mind these days because some days I can't even speak when I wake up. 


 But Japan moved on.  Everyone has been trying to be really positive.  I think it really opened my eyes.  I also found a wonderful D&D group, I introduced my friends to Rock Climbing... and made a bunch of wonderful friends in the board gaming community.  I wanted to make my friends smile and laugh and enjoy life, so I started getting them together more often and to make them forget about their worries.

So with my new found passion in Board Games, I started hosting Game days (a LOT) which meant there was not much time for Rock Climbing and D&D.  My Rock Climbing friends and D&D friends are probably *shaking their fists* at me, from afar at this moment.  I also started Board Gaming Recess at my schools.    But I'm so grateful to have found so many friends and they are willing to join me in my crazed Gaming obsession.

I also started to get really involved in the BGG community and met a lot of wonderful people.  I really enjoyed the 2011 BGG Supporter Drive & Xmas Card exchange.  Which reminds me, I must join the Secret Santa this year.


I did a little calculation and realized that I had amassed over 90 games in the year 2011.  I only started in May 2011...and I totaled 220 plays.  Here's a top list of the some of the games I played in 2011, I didn't add the ones after 3 plays because the list was HUGE after that.

31 plays - Spot It
12 plays - Geschenkt (No Thanks)
11 plays - Dominion
11 plays - Eat Poop you Cat
10 plays - Saboteur
10 plays - Word on the Street
9 plays - Hornoschen ( Cat 5 / Slide 5)
8 plays - Cosmic Encounter
8 plays - Pandemic
8 plays - Ghost Stories
7 plays - Ticket to Ride
7 plays - Set
5 plays Title Recall
5 plays - Ubongo
6 plays - Dixit
5 plays - Title Recall
5 plays - Innovations
4 plays - Survive! Escape from Atlantis
4 plays - King of Tokyo

I think 2012 will be a great year.  I've got plans to expand our gaming group in Tokyo.  I started off teaching 1 Fantastic friend some board games, and now I'm renting community space to accommodate the number of players.

I have a little crazy dream, I want to get a HUGE gaming convention (2 days Plus) going on over here in the future, like they do in the States. Hopefully, Game Market will get bigger and better.  So I guess I should work on improving my Japanese and spreading the Board Gaming goodness.
My motto been:
If I can't go to the *insert your favourite Con name here*, I'm going to bring the Con here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This is Kosugi station - after the March 11th Earthquake in 2011

Cockroach infestations? Yes, please!

Of board games and such