Witch's Brew: out of print, who will play this game with me

I found a new game to play! Who will play with me?

This out of print game is a gem.  After randomly stumbling upon a review of this game on BGG, and discovering it was Out Of Print. I decided to track it down.   I liked the theme and the mechanics.  In the land of the Rising Sun - Japan, I thought it would be impossible but I was wrong.  My FLGS (I'm going to call it Foreign Local Gaming Store as it sells Foreign=English games) sold it.

I haven't played Citadels, but the mechanics are quite unique, and this is a game I will keep in my collection, not because it's OOP - Out of Print, but because I really enjoy the guessing aspect.   The game plays in such a short time, 30-45 minutes, but it has quite a lot of strategy involved.  There is a lot of out-witting the other players, and trying to guess what cards they might play.


Game Play in a Nutshell:

The aim of the game win the most points / victory points by brewing potions.  The game ends when there are 4 raven cards collected on the table.  Each player has a set of 12 role cards.  Players select 5 cards they wish to try to win.  The other cards are not used for that set.
The first player selects a card they hope no one else have chosen, and says "I am...a warlock" but if the next player also has that card, they can "steal" that role and become the "warlock".  But in the case they think another player might also have the "warlock" card he can take the cheaper reward and say "So be it!" and immediately perform the action at the bottom of the card.  After each player has played or passed, the winner of the role may perform the action stated on their card.
So there is a lot of, I hope I chose the right card, I hope he didn't choose this card, and I think he'll choose this card so I'll choose it also so he can't get it.  I love mind game card games.

A brief...brief...(a short some-airy):

I love this game, and I want to get it to the table a lot more.  But for some reason as soon as my friends hear the name, they're not interested.  But it's such a clever game.  This game is best played with 4-5 players.  3 players is not ideal.  There is a little down time, but not too much.  I think I will ALWAYS recommend this game if we have 30-45 minutes.

Perfect match: You'll like this if you like Citadels, Bang,

Gateway to Gaming Heaven (gateway game):  Yes.  This game can be taught to first time gamers, it's a light-mid level game.  There are no real complicated mechanics, and it's a great intro to Euro-style games.

Adding fuel to the fire (adding to the addiction):  A little.  The first play doesn't add a lot of fuel, but I think it does stoke the addiction a little.
 
Gamer vs Non Gamer (fight!): fun for both if the theme doesn't put you off

Add to your collection:  I think this game should be reprinted and everyone should play it. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This is Kosugi station - after the March 11th Earthquake in 2011

Cockroach infestations? Yes, please!

Kickstarter Woes of Missed Online pledge managers