Saboteur get's played!

After reading and watching reviews about this game, I was hyped up and wanted to own a copy of it.  I tracked down a copy on Amazon Japan, and clicked purchase.  But I wasn't able to bring it to the gaming table.  I wasn't sure how receptive my friends would be of this "tunnel laying" game.  The idea of just laying down tiles to form a path to the gold, gave me the impressions of Waterworks or a game of Dominos.  Didn't seem as fun as what the reviews made it out to be.

Boy was I wrong.
After about 4 months of this game sitting on my shelf, and almost getting it played a couple of times, I finally played it with the Northside Gamers.  We played with 4 players, and it was a lot of fun.  It did remind me of Werewolf with the hidden Saboteur role.  I was secretly hoping I would be a saboteur (I love playing the baddie) and luckily I was able to play one in one of the 3 rounds.

Game Play in a Nutshell:
The game plays quickly over 3 rounds.  Everyone gets dealt a secret role.  Saboteur or Good Dwarf.  The good dwarves are trying to make a path to the gold, which is hidden face down amongst 3 cards. 
The saboteurs are trying to prevent the dwarves from reaching the goal before all the cards run out in the draw deck, and everyone passes.

For 4 players it's best to play with the Selfish dwarf variant  that has been posted up on BGG.  We use 2 green dwarf cards to be the good dwarves, and 1 red dwarf to be the selfish dwarf.

A brief...brief...(a short some-airy):
The game allows a nice amount of bluffing.  The saboteurs pretend to be good dwarves while the good dwarves try to not do anything that might rouse suspicion.  I was suspicious of everyone.  Especially players that played a card that didn't move towards the goal.  Each player takes turns in playing a card (a tunnel card / action card) or discarding a card, and then drawing a card.  But, if you discard a card and say "I had no good cards" it might seem like something the saboteur would do.  So a lot of us were placing the cards on the tunnel but heading the other direction.  Suspicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that I've played it once, I can bring this to the table a lot easier.  It was a lot of fun and so easy to teach.  I feel this game plays best with 5+ players, but with the 4 player variant this game is a blast also.

Perfect match: You'll like this if you like Bang, Werewolf, Mr Jack and other hidden role games.

Gateway to Gaming Heaven (gateway game):  Yes, this will bring people closer to gaming enlightenment. 

Adding fuel to the fire (adding to the addiction):  There's a high chance there'll be a large fire.  A dwarven fire...

Gamer vs Non Gamer (fight!): fun for both
Add to my collection: Yes!  For the price of this fun portable, easy to teach game, this should be in your collection.  Even if you are a non gamer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This is Kosugi station - after the March 11th Earthquake in 2011

Cockroach infestations? Yes, please!

Kickstarter Woes of Missed Online pledge managers