Let me tell you a story...how should I start? (Dixit)

Once upon a time, there were games that supposedly used your imagination and story telling skills...but they were...meh!

Upon watching The Dice Tower's review of Dixit, I thought I should see what the hype was all about.  The hype was worth it!

I brought out this game with my newly formed gaming group of non gamers & gamer friends and it was quite a hit.  I thought that I would be quite good at this game then found out it was the opposite.  I'm too obvious!  Too predictable!  Too easy to read!  May I never play in a professional poker tournament.

Game Play in a Nutshell:
The game takes up to 6 players.  You can play with 3 players, and that seemed to work quite well in my group.  Everyone chooses a color and get's their voting tokens and wooden rabbit scoring piece.  They get dealt 6 cards each.  The storyteller chooses 1 card and says a word/sentence/question/makes a gesture about that card.  The other players choose a card that fits that description as close as possible.  Those cards are handed to the storyteller who shuffles them and then places them face up.  The players then try to guess which card belongs to the storyteller.  If the storyteller's story was too obvious (and everyone guesses), or too vague (no one guesses), the storyteller doesn't score any points and everyone else does.  The idea is to tell a story that can be guessed by some players, but not all players.

A brief...brief...(a short some-airy):
My non gamer friends won!  I lost!  What an upset!  But it was so fun losing.  There was no advantage for being a gaming nerd which made the playing field quite even.
Every time the storyteller told their story, I either thought "I know! It's this card!" or "I have no idea, I choose you...Pikachu"  and of course I couldn't be more wrong.  It made me want to play again.  Even though you were trying to narrow down the storyteller's card, it was so much fun that it didn't feel like a puzzle solving game.  The rules take 3 minutes or less to teach, and my non gamer friends have requested this game again.  Definitely a winner!
The only con I can see is the limited amount of cards.  If you play this multiple times, you'll see the same cards again.  With the same groups, they might remember that card and use the same sentence in which other players can easily guess what the card is.  But they've made an expansion, Dixit 2, which has more cards.

Perfect match: You'll like this if you like being creative, using your imagination, interaction and talking.

Gateway to Gaming Heaven (gateway game): Yes, this will bring people closer to gaming enlightenment.

Adding fuel to the fire (adding to the addiction):   A little.  New gamers seem to request this game quite a bit.

Gamer vs Non Gamer (fight!): fun for both and there are no obvious advantages for being gaming guru.

Add to your collection: Yes, if you can play with various people.  Otherwise you might remember the cards and use the same sentences.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This is Kosugi station - after the March 11th Earthquake in 2011

Cockroach infestations? Yes, please!

Kickstarter Woes of Missed Online pledge managers