This is Kosugi station - after the March 11th Earthquake in 2011

Edited to provide more information:  This was right after the March 11th Earthquake in 2011.  A lot of people had similar experiences.

I managed to catch the bus half way home.  When I got to the station there were thousands of people at the station.  All the nearby buildings were all evacuated.  Everyone was on the street.  Having no money & no idea of the extent of the damage etc, I decided to try find an ATM.  I walked from station to station trying to find a working one.  Still not knowing what had really happened I went to the ENT clinic.  They also didn't know the extent of what had happened, as they were still operating.  At that point I really wished I knew more Japanese so I could ask. 

Still having no idea, I thought the trains should be up and running again, but it was starting to get dark.  It was freezing.  My phone was running out of battery, I was stuck and didn't know how to get home.  All I could do was ask people for directions to the next station, and the next station.  I followed train stations as far as I could and when it got dark. There were huge queues at the convenience stores and people were lining up to buy everything off the shelves.  There was no onigiri left.  People were lining up at the public phones, so I followed suit to try contact someone.  But I realized after living here this long, I had no idea how to use the phone system here, and that it only took 10yen or 100yen.  
4 hours later after I had left work, and had still not made it home, I had a choice to walk over the huge river in the dark...I decided against it, I was scared.  So I chanced it and went to my friend's house to wait til the morning or til trains ran again.  She lived on the 7th floor...and the lift was out.   We watched the news but I didn't understand 90% of it.  It was not until I was able to access English media, then I realized what had happened.   Around midnight my beau came to rescue me, he had rented a car and drove to pick me up.  
******
This video was taken maybe 1 or 2 days after the quake. 
  The supermarkets & stores around my area and further south had a lot of long lines.  Everyone was trying to buy water, rice, and toilet paper (there was a huge shortage in supplies after the giant Kyoto earthquake).  Then the rolling blackouts started.  My friends and I decided to go over to each other's apartments to keep each other company & give a bit of moral support.  A lot of trains were cancelled, and a lot of companies and individuals all pulled together to use less electricity.

I tried posting this on facebook, but unfortunately, it wouldn't load.
I wanted to buy myeslf a portable mobile phone charger, and decided to go to Ito Yokado.

This is what I saw, and another 2 lines behind me, and 2 more lines at the drug store further down the road.  When I got to the station another line had started to form at Tokyu store.   In the end I gave up buying the charger.

Comments

  1. My husband had to get toilet rolls yesterday around 3pm at Itoyokado. He said there were long lines.

    Hope you can get a charger!

    Miho

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cockroach infestations? Yes, please!

Of board games and such